Research InterestInvestigation and development of BPA free coatings in cans used to package food. [Read full]
Noteworthy Graduate NarrativeThe following is a list of students who I served (since obtaining tenure) as their major advisor and the accomplishments they made while pursing their [Read full]
Master/Graduate AdvisingSince obtaining tenure at OSU I served as advisor to 5 Ph.D. students, and sat on the dissertation and examination committees of 8 additional students. [Read full]
Postdoctoral / Researcher AdvisingDr. Jaesung Lee is currently a postdoctoral researcher in my laboratory. He has contributed to peer-reviewed publications #2, 7, 13, 15, 16, 19, 21, 22 [Read full]
Advising NarrativeKyra Jones (current Masters student) was awarded a Summer Research Opportunity Program (SROP) fellowship in 2010 for two years to pursue graduates stud [Read full]
- The influence of environmental consciousness on consumers' decision to purchase eco-friendly products and packaging
- Antimicrobial evaluation of micro-pattern topography for reduction of bacterial survival on polymeric materials
- High pressure processing and its impact on the crystallinity, morphology and gas transmission properties of low density polyethylene films
- Performance evaluation of a medium size charcoal cooler installed in the field for temporary storage of horticultural produce.
- The use of atomic force microscopy to measure the removal efficacies of various chemical sanitizers for organic matter from glass surfaces
- Development of an analytical method for the determination of congener specific Pcbs in selected polymeric packaging materials
- Measurement of adhesion strengths between various milk products on glass surfaces using contact angle measurement and atomic force microscopy
- Minimum leak size determination, under laboratory and commercial conditions, for bacterial entry into polymeric trays used for shelf-stable food packaging.
- Evaluation of magnetic resonance for detection of bacterial contamination in low-acid, shelf-stable packaged soymilk.
- Pesticides and total polychlorinated biphenyls residues in raw and cooked walleye and white bass harvested from the Great Lakes.
- Effect of pasteurization, high-pressure processing, and retorting on the barrier properties of nylon 6, nylon 6/ethylene vinyl alcohol, and nylon 6/nanocomposites films.
- Efficacies of Sodium Hypochlorite and Quaternary Ammonium Sanitizers for Reduction of Norovirus and Selected Bacteria during Ware-Washing Operations.
- The Influence of Environmental Consciousness on Consumers Decision to Purchase Food Products in Eco-Friendly Packaging
- Development of an analytical method for the determination of congener specific PCBs in selected polymeric packaging materials.
- Uptake of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) from an aqueous medium by polyethylene, polyvinyl chloride, and polystyrene films.
- Leak detection in polyethylene terephthalate bottles filled with water and pulped and unpulped orange juice using a vacuum decay system
- Survivability of microorganisms on fabric materials after low temperature washing with an acidic chemical agent
- Incorporation of vitamin E into chitosan films and its effect on the material properties (viscosity, dry rate) and the solubility and thermal properties of the dried film
- Using Focus Groups to Study Consumer Understanding and Experiences with Tamper-Evident Packaging Devices
- The effect of high pressure processing on the morphology of polyethylene films tested by differential scanning calorimetry and X-ray diffraction and its influence on the permeability of the polymer.
- Effect of high pressure processing on the thermal and mechanical properties of polyethylene films measured by dynamical mechanical and tensile analyses.
- Incorporation of Selected Small Molecule Compounds into Tapioca Starch and the Effects on Thickness, Moisture and Oxygen Mass Transfer, and Mechanical Properties of the Films
- Effect of food particle residuals and sanitizing chemicals, chlorine, ozonated water, alkaline, neutral and basic electrolyzed water on the antimicrobial efficacy of manual warewashing.
- Incorporation of selected antimicrobial small molecule compounds into Tapioca starch and the effects on thickness, moisture and oxygen mass transfer, and mechanical properties of the films.
- High Pressure Processing and the Mass Transfer of Irganox 1076 from Polyethylene Films and 95% Ethanol.
- Evaluation of a Vacuum/decay Leak Detection System for PET Bottles Filled with Water and Fruit Juices.
- Effects of Washing Temperature and Sanitizing Condition on the Survival of Bacteria in Dishwashing Process.
- Effect of nano particle percent loading and food processing types on the barrier and mechanical properties of nylon 6/nanocomposite materials.
- Packaging material types, selection and integrity inspection for product quality and safety for the United States market.
- Strength of attachment and survivability of bacteria on different fabric materials used to make food handler’s over-coats.
- Efficacy of an acidic sporicidal agent for Bacillus cereus spore reduction on food packaging materials.
- Incorporation of Vitamin E into Chitosan Films and its Effect on Viscosity and Drying Rate of the Blend and Solubility and Thermal Analysis of the Film
- The Efficacy of Neutral Electrolyzed Water for Sanitization of Cutting Boards Used in Food Preparation.
- Efficacy of electrolyzed oxidizing water compared with other traditional sanitizers for manual and automatic dishwashing operations.
- Transmission electron microscopic analysis of bacterial cells treated with electrolyzed water and an acidic sanitizer.
- Effect of high pressure, temperature and food simulants (10 and 95% alcohol) on the mass transfer of Irganox 1076 (an antioxidant) from polyethylene films.
- The efficacies of Sanitizers for Reduction of Norovirus and Selected Bacteria during Ware-Washing Operations
- The impact of post-washing cold potable water rinse on the drying times of various eating utensils in a restaurant setting.